Service is the act and consequence of serving : perform an action in order to meet a particular need that a person has. Social , for its part, is that linked to the society (the community of individuals who share a common territory and culture).
It is known as social services to those benefits that are very important for the social welfare : that is, for the quality of life of the individuals that make up a society .
Due to its wide scope, it is impossible to establish exactly what social services cover. Each country understands social services in a different way, although all consider offering them from some sector of the State and also, in many cases, from institutions and non-governmental entities .
Broadly speaking, a social service is an action that tends to guarantee or increase the autonomy of a subject and to facilitate his integration to the community. A public social service office can thus help a child who is left orphan or yet man who suffers a physical disability , to cite two possibilities.
In some educational institutions , the social service is part of the activities that students must develop. In this sense, it is understood that social service is not only a solidarity contribution to the most vulnerable sectors of the community but also a educational tool which contributes to the training of students.
There are universities that even impose social service as a mandatory temporary activity that students must do to apply the knowledge they obtained in their course.
Let's look at some of the reasons why social service for a community is necessary or beneficial:
* it allows those who wish to help those who cannot meet their basic needs;
* in the case of university students, the social service is ideal to put into practice everything learned through the lessons ;
* in the same way, through this type of activities, the figure of the University is closely linked with society, and that can have a series of positive consequences, such as an increase in people's interest in training academic;
* As with any altruistic act, social service helps us feel fulfilled as human beings and gives more meaning to our lives;
* the needs people's reals are always more complex than any textbook can teach us, and that is why face-to-face work with people gives us invaluable lessons, which in turn prepare us to act better in practice;
* social service also serves to raise awareness in the community about some values that seem to be lost over time, such as commitment and solidarity;
* When someone is exposed to campaigns of this kind, they always have the possibility to reflect on their own life, their relationship with the environment and become a promoter of the social welfare .
When the social service is framed within the limits of an educational institution, such as being a faculty, certain rules appear that undermine spontaneity and can take away value to gestures that in another context would be considered part of the social service. This occurs because the objectives of a campaign led by an agency can only be achieved if all participants remain within the structure, following the steps indicated by it and following the restrictions. One of the fundamental points in this case is put into practice what was learned in class , so that any activity that does not meet this simple requirement cannot be taken into account, even if it generates similar effects in those who receive the aid.