In Latin, the etymological origin of the word director is found. Specifically, it comes from the sum of three components of that language: the prefix "di-", which is equivalent to "divergence"; the verb "regere", which is synonymous with "rule", and the suffix "-tor", which can be used as an "agent".
director is a adjective which refers to the one who directs . The verb direct, on the other hand, is linked to the action of bringing something towards a designated term or place; guide through signs or directions; direct the intention and operations to a specific purpose; give rules for handling a company ; guide; or mark a certain artistic orientation to those involved in a work or show.
It is possible, therefore, to refer to different types of directors. A film director or filmmaker is the person that, in the filming of a movie , is responsible for deciding the setting of the camera, give instructions to the actors, supervise the scenery and costumes and perform other actions that allow successful shooting.
For example: “Last night I saw a great movie by a Swedish director”, “Steven Spielberg is my favorite director”, "Terminator, Titanic and Avatar are some of the most successful films of director James Cameron".
He orchestra director , on the other hand, it is the subject that is dedicated to coordinate the various instruments that make up an orchestra. This director must keep the tempo of the interpretation, indicate the dynamic accents and indicate the entrance of the individual instrumental groups. To give his instructions, the conductor appeals to gestures and the movement of a stick known as a baton.
Within the religious field, we meet the so-called spiritual director. This is the position of the person, in particular the priest, who is in charge of advising all those faithful who ask for help in matters related to conscience or morals.
In schools, for example, there is also a principal. This has a wide range of functions that must be carried out for the proper functioning of the college, institute or university. Among those, the following stand out:
• Plan, coordinate and control both academic and administrative activities.
• Evaluate the work carried out by the teachers that make up the workforce.
• Ensure compliance with established standards, either by educators or by students and other people who make up the educational community.
• Lead the teachers council.
• Be the manager and evaluator of the different programs of complementary, special, cultural, sports activities ... that are developed within the framework of the center.
• Organize and approve the schedules of the various activities as well as of all the school groups and, therefore, of the teachers.
• Manage and respond to the Ministry of Education about everything that has to do with the center.
In a sports team, the technical director He is responsible for managing the training, developing the strategy and deciding who will play each game. The functions of the technical director exceed sport in itself, since it must also guarantee the good coexistence in the group and keep the players motivated.