Tithe comes from the Latin word decimus and is linked to a tenth (the tenth part of something). The concept was used to name the right of the 10% that a king demanded about the value of the merchandise that entered his kingdom or that was trafficked from his ports.
The notion of tithing, therefore, is usually associated with a tax of the 10% that should be paid to a king , yet ruler or yet religious leader . Those who had to make the payment delivered a tenth of their earnings or income to the creditor.
Tithing dates back to biblical times. The patriarch Abram who would later be Abraham ("Father of many peoples"), gave a tithe to the priest Melchizedek in a show of gratitude. Over time, tithing was instructed for all Levitical priests and even established as an obligation or law.
At present, tithing is usually optional in the religion , although various branches (such as evangelists ) insist on the importance of the faithful saving a portion of their income to contribute to the church . Tithing is usually considered a responsibility before God since it helps to spread his word in the world.
Even from a non-religious perspective, the importance of tithing does not lie precisely in the amount of money with which to collaborate, but in the fact of feeling part of a movement, of a community, in the satisfaction of knowing a fundamental member for its continuity and its development. In fact, tithing does not always represent exactly 10% of income, and in many cases the term is simply used as a synonym for donation or offering.
Many say that when we learn to share what we get with others, even when we do it with people and animals we never know or know, we feel closer to others and ourselves. Although a person earns his money without anyone's help, with much effort and without exceeding the limits of the Law, the only way to enjoy it is not necessarily to allocate it to himself in its entirety: sometimes, to help improve the world around can return much more than what you deliver.
The tithe, in general, was intended to raise funds for the material maintenance of the church and of his ministers. The contribution of the faithful, therefore, was not always destined to those most in need, but to maintain a power structure and an ecclesiastical hierarchy.
Law of Ecological Tithing
While the Energy passes through the different trophic levels (of nutrition), much of it is lost in the respiratory process. This occurs because of the second law of thermodynamics, since there is a significant loss of energy in each transfer, and this is called Law of Ecological Tithing or Ten Percent Law.
When the laws of thermodynamics were applied to the flow of matter and energy, as well as the formation of biomass, it was determined that in the passage between trophic levels only 10% of the energy generated in the previous one is obtained; In other words, of the energy that is captured at each trophic level, 90% goes to movement, metabolism and other actions, while leaving the remaining 10% to take advantage of the next.
Taking as an example the feeding, we can say that a vegetable uses 90% of the energy it gets from the sun to develop and when a herbivorous animal uses it for food, it can only access the remaining 10% (tithe) of which, in turn, 90% it will serve you for your vital functions; If a carnivorous animal feeds on the latter, then the same will happen once again.